From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:01:28 -0500
>> If I can get formic gel in time I may try and dose this hive.

>At the SBA meeting I recall seeing a presentation showing that long
duration
>formic treatments do suppress brood rearing when applied in the spring,
whereas
>the short duration treatments do not.  At the same meeting, Medhat
described the
>long term formic method he has adapted to Ontario conditions, but did not
AFAIK
>address this issue.  I'm hoping he might comment on this aspect of formic
>treatment now, and whether he has observed it.

I had a chance to travel to the Florida state fair yesterday. Our state bee
inspectors always have a good presentation and are available for questions.
From the three inspectors that were there the reports were not good. In
order:

1) The formic gel has problems in Florida due to our constant warm weather.
It is reported that without 21 days of moderate temperature it is hard to
get the correct treatment with the gel.

2) Apistan resistant mites are considered common here in Florida. The
inspectors were very firm on this. They were seeing resistant mites
everywhere. They are strongly pushing the use of Cumaphos.

3) The small hive beetle continues to expand. The entire state is considered
infected.

>Preparing and maintaining control hives for comparing varroa treatments is
>problem.

I agree. While drifting is a concern, I wanted to have the hives close to me
and in the same environment. Queen genetics are an issue but these two are
from the same stock, which without the ability to do AI is the best I can
do.