From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 05:31:47 -0700
Hi all and Juase,

What is orego-stim and how do you use it?
How do you use the bleach in re: to possible virus?

We have our hives returning from California right now to the Florida panhandle.
They look pretty good overall, but....we are seeing quite a few hives with bees
dying just as they start to emerge from the cells and die with their tongues out.

It's enough to take notice and I am concerned, but think they will pull out of it
in our good nectar and pollen conditions that we are enjoying presenting in the south.

The wings are intact and no sign of DWV.

The mite load is low overall. No mites visible in drone brood between the boxes when

we split them in half to split them.

I would like to explore additives we could use in our syrup that we feed in early spring
and fall. Any ideas?

We do add bleach to our syrup to keep it clean at the rate of about a gallon per thousand gallons.

Any opinions on plant extracts such as thymol, oregano, spearment, lemongrass, etc.?

Where can I send a sample to get analyzed for virus? And how does one prepare the sample for shipment?

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebookfor Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys