From:
Rick Fell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 11:00:34 -0400
Tim:
One possibility is a staphyloccus infection.  You don't make mention of the
type of bacteria, nor whether this physician has identified the bacteria.
However, there have been several reports of sub-dermal staph infections
associated with spider bites, and at least one from the bite of a reduvid
(both of which create puncture type wounds similar to a sting).  I  would
not be at all surprised to hear of a similar response from a hymenopteran
sting.  This might provide a better explanation than the bacteria
associated with bees and wasps.
Regards - Rick Fell

>A plea for help from the hymenopterists!
>
>I recently received a call from a resident MD concerning a patient that he
>had treated who had a severe bacterial infection associated with a bumblebee
>sting. This apparently is not an isolated occurrence; there have been others
>reported. He is asking for help regarding literature which might contain a
>survey of any bacteria associated with vespids, apids, or bombids.  He plans
>to publish this case history and needs some basic literature on the bee
>flora.  I have done some general searches online with our available
>resources, but did not find anything other than a few specialized papers on
>honeybees - nothing of a general nature.  He knows the medical and clinical
>literature, but would like a lead into the entomological literature.
>
>Can anyone provide a lead into this literature if there is any?
>
>Please respond directly to me, as I am not a member of this list.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Tim
>Everett D. (Tim) Cashatt, Ph.D.
>Curator of Zoology, Illinois State Museum
>phone: 217-782-6689
>fax:   217-785-2857
>email: [log in to unmask]

Rick Fell