From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:08:55 -0500
Sorry to hear of the colony's troubles, Daniel.  DON'T BURN it!!  Since
there is no odor, there is a good chance you are not dealing with
foulbrood.  Also, the colony was treated with antibiotics, so should not
have been susceptible.

I am interested to hear what the more experienced listers would have to
say, but would like to offer this:  There are a number of infections that
will cause death of larvae, and this will of course lead to decomposition
of the brood.  What you can end up with is the brown gobs you are seeing,
being just rotting larvae.  Certain differences in symptoms can help you to
diagnose just what the particular problem might be.

Besides infection, there is the possibility of contaminated pollen as well,
which may have been collected & fed to the brood (laced with pesticide or
whatever).

Though I can't say what the problem is for sure, I would encourage you to
hold off on destroying the equipment(!) and try to locate someone who could
give them an experienced looking-over.  There are certain options, such as
shaking the bees onto clean combs or foundation, then feeding them heavily,
etc..    I hope you can salvage them and turn the situation around.  It
sounds like you have been very conscientious and thorough in caring for
them.

Best wishes,
J. Govostes          Freeville, NY