From:
Lawrence Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 20:06:21 -0600
Elizabeth M. Bowles wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's to late to split a hive.  I'm new at this and
> have
> just aquired enough materials to start a new hive if it's not to
> late.  I
> live in Missouri.  My good friend, Morris,  thinks it's best to play
> it
> safe and stick to one at this time of the year.  I want to agree with
> him
> but I'm so excited about having bees that I want a secound on that.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Elizabeth

I know the feeling ..  Each day I sit and watch my 10 hives two of which
are full size strong hives and the rest I got this year by swarms calls
and from the mail. I think of allkinds of thing to do with them but when
I way the time of year or the size ect. I decide it is best to leave
them Bee. Bee keeping is an exercise in patience.
If you have a strong enough hive to split it will be there next spring ,
providing no mites.
I would say that it is to late in the year and the split won't have
enough time to build or store food for winter.
Bee keeper of two years from Colorado.
                                                 Have fun , lawrence
Cooke