From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2015 18:13:45 +0000
"Whats disturbing is that most of these bright minds seem to thing the rest of us are dumb. "

Charles!!!! I may talk/write differently than you do, but I would NEVER equate the fact that you don't know much about my discipline as evidence that you are "dumb"!!!! You have a lot of experience in OTHER areas. You are inquisitive, and that is the top criterion, in my estimation, for a great interaction.

"...the brighter minds occasionaly miss what we call common sense"

I was in a sorority in college while earning my bachelor's degree. I saw girls spinning their car wheels in the mud, sinking their cars....who had A averages. Common sense is not a feature related to the ability to memorize or learn in college, as far as I have been able to tell.

"If I recall neonics were no 19? On the list..... So the honest truth is there are 18 other chemical interactions that are much more important."

Was that information based on quantity of available compound, or outcome?

"Researching Neonic interactions, without looking at some of the other pesticides at the same time, is without a doubt intellectually lazy, and a half ----- job."

Charles, I think you overestimate where we are in science these days. If we cannot even describe the metabolic pathway for ONE compound, we certainly cannot explain what happens when MANY are there. The reason is hard to explain, but let me try. Think of Dick's fork-in-the-road explanation. Now imagine that more roads arrive at the forks. Any car coming down any road could potentially drive down any fork!!!! We just don't know ANYTHING about how this works. So starting with just one, then studying the next (take a fungicide, maybe a popular one) and then doing the next one...it's where we MUST go if we are to understand how they all work together.

Christina