From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:48:27 -0500
>>   Beekeepers working in citrus groves in South Florida report fair to good
>>flows.  But the larger belt of citrus along the "Ridge" of central Florida
>>has been so cold that bees have not worked much, and trees are not yielding.
>>
>>   If the weather does not warm soon, the bloom will be over without a
>>significant orange crop in much of the citrus areas - a real disappointment
>>to beekeepers in view of record prices in the honey market.
>
>I'll say disappointment. I have hives in groves near Daytona Beach and just
>west of Orlando, Florida. A few hives are doing well but most aren't making
>honey. At least they are making more bees for pollination. Hives in the
>grove further south in Tampa are doing much better.
>
>God Bless,
>Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]
>Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A., 137 hives, 1 year in beekeeping.

 Hi Kelley,

        Your problem is your bees have not been coaxed to only work the
orange grove blossom, this is to prepare your bees to a orange flavour
mixture, just before the trees are to bloom.If your do this a few time
before each bloom period the bees will only work the citrus orchard, and to
assist in the brood development with a supply of pollen, your need to
supplement or have pollen plants growing near by, in Australia, clover
plants are planted in between each row of trees and watered regularly,
either by spray or flood irrigation.
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia