From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:02:57 +0000
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Becky S Boehm wrote:

> How would one keep an expensive microphone clean inside of a hive??
> Perhaps a different type of sensing device could be used, such as a
> transducer?

It's possible to get tiny electret condenser microphone capsules for a few
pence (or cents). They need a voltage feed and a small amplifier,
but the whole thing could be built for a couple of dollars including a
battery. Try enquiring in Radio Shack/Tandy or wherever.

I heard a while back that there is also a sudden temperature surge just
before a swarm -- about 40 minutes? Unfortunately, you can probably see
the activity starting by then, so the value is doubtful.

I've been trying to remember what the problems were with the original
experiments. Can't remember at the moment.

G.
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
<A HREF="http://www.apis.demon.co.uk">Gordon's Apis Home Page</A>