From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 20:47:17 -0500
Hello Jim & All,

Jim wrote concerning my need for access to an electron microscope:

>But what possible application would they have for bee disease
diagnosis?  I thought you mis-typed, but you appear to be
serious about this.  I know of no possible use for such
expensive and complex beasties that would yield any advantage
in the case of bee diseases.
>So please tell us why anyone would need such a costly device.

I would be happy too! Also why I would like access to an electron
microscope.
I was hoping a researcher lurker might step forward to share ( Diana Cox
Foster maybe).

Several years ago when I was researching PMS and virus and in contact on a
regular basis with virus research in the U.K I learned the real virus
research is done with an electron microscope. I have seen some pretty fancy
commercial beekeeper labs but none has an electron microscope to my
knowledge.

To prove the above please turn to page 1109 of the 92 edition of "The Hive
and the Honey Bee"
quote:
" Electron microscope observations suggest that sacbrood virus can
accumulate in the heads of infected adults ,with much of the virus
accumulating in their hypopharyngeal glands ( Bailey ,1969,1968a)"
We actually would know very little about virus without the electron
microscope.

I was very skeptical about the implications Norman Carrick & Brenda Ball
were making six years ago but Norman took the time to send me information
and educate me. I am amazed that both researchers have been let go and the
research of Bailey sits idle.
We are so fortunate to have a researcher of Diana Cox Fosters abilities in
the U.S..

I suppose so many years ago the researchers of the day were spell bound with
all the revelations F. Huber ( Blind ) made about the honey bee. Perhaps
Huber has made the most *first time* discoveries about the honey bee than
any other person. His observations through the eyes of his servant have
stood for over 200 years.

When people indicate I should be content to be a follower instead of a
leader I think of F. Huber.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--