From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:03:13 -0500
>Would it be possible to use a standard deep box as a
>honey super during nectar flow that used only top bars or regular
>frames with starter foundation strips?  Would the bees just
>build cross bracing/random comb instead?  Or could one modify
>the box with an angled piece of wood on each end to encourage
>the "V" comb shape?
>All this would be done on standard deep brood boxes for wintering
>purposes.
>Just a thought,
>Mike Quimby

You could modify a standard deep box this way, but it wouldn't leave you
with much useful volume remaining in the hive.

Something that does work ok is to supply top bars in the honey supers,
preferably with foundation-starter-strips.  The bees build the surplus
honey combs from the bars.  When complete you harvest the box, cut any comb
attachment to the walls, and remove the full combs for processing.

Instead of having to pull fine wire or string through, between the supers,
to separate them, you can lay a piece of flexible plastic sheet over the
top bars (as you add each subsequent super), cut the plastic to leave a
good 1-2" clear around the periphery.  The bees will access the next super
through this space, all around,  yet the plastic will keep the combs from
being connected to the set of top bars or frames below.  Usually the bees
don't propolize or fasten the plastic much, if at all, so you can separate
the stories quite easily.

I have read of this method, described for use with "ekes" for heather
comb-honey production (UK).  It has been effective for me in frameless
supers.  The plastic also acted as a queen excluder.
Best wishes,  JWG