From:
krengel lawrence e <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:30:59 -0600
It is interesting that we suggest that a single bee is stupid, but as a
society they are intelligent.  I would suggest that in humans we the the
opposite.  The intellectual prowess of single individuals is
considerable, while often the behavior of groups seems to lack intelligence.

It almost seems that with bees group behavior makes some very
sophisticated decisions... e.g., "the hive is too crowded and ther is
enough forage... let's swarm...  but half of you stay here with the new
queen."

Whereas in humans group decisions sometimes seem flawed.  Consider the
acts of congress (not intended to be facetious).  Often when they set out
to solve a problem, they solve a different... irrevelent problem.  A
single individual would be more single-minded and home in on the
original problem.

Or, consider the actions of a riot where a group often destroys their own
possessions.  Most individuals would not choose to do this.

I'm not sure where this line of thinking leads.  But it is interesting.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL USA
Home of C. C. Miller