From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:51:37 +1000
Garth queried whether any breeding had been done to make the AHB more
manageable.

Between 5 and 10 years ago Scientific American carried a report on AHB
dealing with its initial accidental and then deliberate release by the
Brazilian authorities.

I am unable to find my copy of the magazine (obviously I stored it in a safe
place) but the findings were that by continually selecting hives that were
not so defensive the Brazilian beekeeping industry had evolved a strain that
was manageable and thrived in the climatic conditions.

At the stage the report was written feral AHB were advancing into Texas but
the increased aggressive tendency was being managed by requeening annually
with pure strain Italians in managed hives.  The African gene was being
gradually diluted with a combination of less suitable climatic conditions
and mating with pure Italians.

Anybody interested could do a search through Scientific American archives.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]