From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:40:08 -0500
>Are you saying a guy can run a thousand hives in 1000 hours?

Many are and many in less time.

The average person works 2000 hours a year. What is that beekeeper doing for
six months? Fishing?

I realize its hard for many to understand the way commercial migratory
beekeepers work today.
I have been in Florida & Texas working with commercial beekeepers this
spring. I have been in Florida working with the bees every year for many
many years.

Once the spring manipulation is complete then little work is needed the rest
of the season.
My figure on actual time spent with the beekeeper *working* each hive during
the season might shock you. Certainly not an hour per hive.

I was asked to write a book on the methods of commercial migratory
beekeepers on several occasions. Pressure from those beekeepers has kept the
book from being made. Our methods are very different than those taught in
bee books & bee magazines.
We worry little about the beekeeping issues  the members of the bee list
worry about.
Our worry is strong hives for the year and enough bees to build from the
next spring.
Most of us are not interested in chemical free beekeeping or breeding
survivor bees.
*but*
Unlike Allen & Dennis I have seen some of the strongest hives in years in
both places.
Neither Allen or Dennis has said they checked for nosema ceranae issues.
Many commercial beekeeper have figured out methods to produce strong hives.
Its up to researchers to figure out what they know that researchers have not
figured out yet.
Those beekeepers are not sharing their secrets with me but I can not help
observing the strong hives and smiling beekeeper faces.
bob