From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2015 09:24:56 -0400
The EPA has pondered, considered, and spoken:

http://www2.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/april-2015-letter-registrants-anno
uncing-new-process-handling-new

http://tinyurl.com/pmg2hhb

"As part of EPA's ongoing effort to protect pollinators, the Agency has sent
letters to registrants of neonicotinoid pesticides with outdoor uses
informing them that EPA will likely not be in a position to approve most
applications for new uses of these chemicals until new bee data have been
submitted and pollinator risk assessments are complete. The letters
reiterate that the EPA has required new bee safety studies for its ongoing
registration review process for the neonicotinoid pesticides, and that the
Agency must complete its new pollinator risk assessments, which are based,
in part, on the new data, before it will likely be able to make regulatory
decisions on imidacloprid, clothianidin, thiamethoxam, and dinotefuran that
would expand the current uses of these pesticides."

Also, the Office of Pesticide Programs ("OPP") is the only department of a
government agency to be the subject of a popular rap tune, Naughty By
Nature's  "OPP", which made it to #6 on Billboard's top 100 singles for
1991. I mention this as from what I've seen, most beekeepers are more into
early 1980s UK Synthpop and New Wave than 90s hip-hop and rap, and may not
know the song.

The applicable lyrics are here for supporters of the OPP's decision in this
matter:

"OPP, how can I explain it
I'll take you frame by frame it
To have y'all jumpin' shall we singin' it..."

"...So, you down with OPP? (yeah, you know me!)"