From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:54:42 -0000

As has already been said, this "phenomenon" (if indeed it is one and not an
arbitrary variety of adverse reactions) cannot be labelled as yet with any
one cause. There is not enough data available at the moment to crystalise
out responsible factors. Whilst bee losses, especially winter losses are
nothing new to beekeeping, the apparent increase in high levels of loss in
North America and in Europe especially over the past few years indicates a
common growing situation affecting our bees internationally. If, and I do
say if, this is true, the factors affecting colony collapse disorder may
differ from country to country; it's not possible to incontrovertibly link
colony death in say, Poland with Spain and the USA. The only common factor
known so far is that many bee colonies have died. Thorough examination and
analysis of affected colonies is needed. As more information becomes
available in the form of feedback from beekeepers in all regions, then it
may be more likely that the people assimilating the data, for whom I have
great regard, will be able to determine the most probable causes.

It's not easy getting information, asking people to fill in forms detailing
what they did, when they did it and why. What were the conditions like at
the time? - not everyone remembers or keeps a log book. Some don't want to
give out information they regard as "personal". But unless relevant
information can be reliably gathered - and a lot of it - we are going to
have conjecture and everyone's pet theories for years to come and bees may
continue to die off.

Organised groups investigating these bee deaths are taking shape in Europe
and in North America and they deserve the help and broad support of
beekeepers everywhere in finding a solution to this problem.

Max

Dr Max Watkins

Director

Vita (Europe) Limited