Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:50:58 -0600
>>> Eleven trace elements (Ba, Cu, Fe, Mn, Ni, Pb, Rb, Se, Sr, V, Zn
> "But how many of those are 'undesirable' in our diet?  I see at least
> three (iron, selenium, zinc) that I can buy in our local health food
> store."

It is quite possible to poison yourself by consuming products freely
sold in "health" stores.

I also see Pb.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead#Health_effects

A while back CFIA noticed this and blamed lead solder in
extractors and elsewhere in processing.  It was later found that this
lead comes from environmental sources.

While no amount of lead is prudent in a diet due to its effects and the
tendency to accumulate in the body, the lead solder in an extractor is
unlikely to enter the honey extracted since honey is viscous and sticky.

The first extraction coats the equipment and tends to dry there,
effectively sealing the surface.  Of course, it is possible to
hypothesize that some tiny amount could migrate through the coating, but
that amount would be IMO infinitesimally small in comparison to the
amount from the environment.

However these questions give spoiled, overfed and underemployed people
something to hypothesize about when they tire of counting angels on
pinheads.

As for the other elements, those listed are all metals and I assume they
are just a convenient sampling, not an exhaustive listing.

Although some may be prescribed, the acceptability of these molecules
for dietary purposes depends very much in what form they occur.

As I understand it, generally these metals are presented as specific
_compounds_ in accepted supplements.  Other compounds may be toxic, as
may the supplements in excess.

There is some evidence that indiscriminate consumption of dietary
mineral supplements and vitamin pills may actually shorten lifespans.
That may due to consuming an excess of some toxic, but essential
nutrients beyond the body's requirements.

It is important to know the dose.