From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 01:13:21 +0000
> No CCD in England

Nor in Scotland for that matter.
Hi Maryam

> No CCD in England

Nor in Scotland for that matter.  We do occasionally have poorly understood and scattered absconding which has been called Marie-Celeste - some similarities to this new invention CCD.

France had summer sudden disappearances, might be similar.  Slovenia had winter losses which sounded to me - when I was there earlier this summer - like the winter losses we have seen in the UK.  Also Germany, Italy and Slovenia have had specific poisoning incidents that were related to poorly applied maize (corn) seed dressing.

CCD is a US phenomenon but might be linked to other kinds of bee losses worldwide.  It rolls through apiaries like a contagion, is probably brought about by a mix of stresses from commercial practices (trucking long distances for example), poor quality forage (maize fields for pollen), beekeeper-applied pesticides, maybe poor weather, maybe new disease agents, maybe farm chemicals, and after that you can add your favourite hate-objects as no-one will challenge that.  GM crops, cellular phones, little green men, whatever ...

The term CCD has caught on in some quarters here though, and some who seem to be using beekeeping difficulties to promote their own agendas like to use the term as the pulic have heard of it and it sounds like a bad thing folk can identify with without worrying too much about what it means.

G.