From:
Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2012 05:10:56 -0400
Mon pauvre Gavin,
Is this list the place to discuss the inadequacies of UK legislation on spraying? Beekeepers are affected but let the moderator decide.

First, I am happy that you feel protected by the tissue of “gentleman’s agreements and recommendations for ‘good practice that replaces legislation on pesticide/herbicide spraying in the UK.
However, I doubt that the residents whose health has already been damaged would agree with you. Allow me to quote from the site of your protector, The Health and Safety executive.

<As part of the Government’s response to the Royal Commission’s study on pesticides, Ministers asked the National Farmers Union (NFU) to collaborate with industry partners and interested stakeholders to draw up a ‘good neighbour’ guide to advise and assist farmers and crop sprayers using pesticides in populated areas.>

A good neighbour guide, this is strong stuff. However, farmers are also advised to consider additional costs the good practise measures might incur. After all, the public’s safety does come at a price. Approximately 500,000 houses are adjacent to farmland with an estimated 1-1.5million inhabitants. Yet there is no legal obligation to inform them when spraying, even less what is being sprayed.

Further advice to farmers, <You should consider how exposure might affect members of the public. You should also consider whether you are applying pesticides near to homes, schools, nursing homes, hospitals, environmentally sensitive areas, organic farms and so on. It is good management to consider if you need to take any extra measures when applying pesticides near these premises.>

Prosecutions may be brought after the event but it is difficult to prove intoxication by product xyz when there is no right to be informed of what has been sprayed or when.

Your case of the negligent pest controller is not relevant as it does not concern an approved "plant protection product" and although you mention European legislation the Uk has not yet applyed the most recent EU legislation. I’m glad you feel so well feel so well protected in the UK, Gavin and even happier that I no longer live there.
Best wishes,
Bil