From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:22:07 -0600
> Has anyone knowledge, or experience, of examining colonies of honey bees
> under 'red light' conditions. I understand that this can be done with very
> little disturbance to the colony.

There was a small article in the Speedy Bee sometime in the last six
months mentioning that Africanized bees are being managed at night using
red light in -- I believe -- Mexico.

I paricularly noticed this because I had just mentioned the idea to Dean
at Apiaries and Orchards in regards another Swinger I recently bought
there.  I had asked if anyone ever had red lights installed as well as the
normal white ones they install so nicely on the forklifts.  He said that,
yes, in fact, that a customer who wanted his machine fully decked out had
recently done so.

I did not order red lights, but plan to get something to put over the
lights in some situations.  I know that one can buy gels for stage lights
in almost any colour, and I would imagine that they would be very
efficient.  I had been remembering the red cellophane bags that candy came
in at Christmas when I was a child and thinking that such a membrane would
be ideal - and cheap.

When moving strong hives at night, the white lights on a forklift attract
quite a few bees under some situations and, if they happen to be near the
operator, can result in serious stinging with no warning.  We have lights
on both the mast and the roll cage.  If an operator turns on the lights on
the roll cage, it is asking for trouble when lifting hives.  They are
useful for travel otherwise.

There are times when even the more distant lights on the mast cause
problems.

For tying doen the load, we use the FL lights if there is no moon, and
under these circumstances, being close to the hive entrances, red light
might be the answer.  I'm not sure how well we would work in red light,
and, of course colour filters work by removing some of the brilliance of a
light source.  So, I am not certain that we would have enough illumination
for safety if we add filters. There is a limit to how much electricity my
gas Swingers will supply with their alternators.  They are pretty light
duty, electrically.   The diesel unit has much more rugged electrical
system, and might be able to carry more wattage to compensate for the
filters.   A well-lit workplace is a safer workplace.

FWIW,  the ordinary 'sealed beam' brake/backup light replacement units
that are designed for installation into rubber grommets and which are used
in highway semi units may very well be the exact size to fit nicely into
the rubber pot mounts that are currently on my forklift.  I have intended
to try this idea, and now reminded, will do so today.  I've often noticed
that at night in a beeyard one can see fairly nicely when someone puts a
foot on the brake pedal of a vehicle.  For moving bees, this would bee
enough light for most purposes, I think.

I should also mention that painting bulbs with acrylic paint works quite
nicely if you happen to be an artist and have some artists' colours, and
Christmas tree lights are available in various reds.  Nail poish can work.

 I've heard that the 'safe' lights that we use in photographic dark rooms
are very suitable, and have used such a red bulb in an indoor wintering
building.  I wonder about the yellow 'bug lights' that are sold for use on
porches outside and which are not supposed to attract moths etc.

Examining brood is a different matter.  I like as much light as possible.
Full sunlight is barely enough sometimes.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/