From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:32:17 -0700
> >I have a single deep hive that was treated with Apistan, Grease Patty, 1
> >treatment of T25 and sugar and also received a gal. of  2:to1: syrup
> >with wintergreen  last Fall.
> >
> > I checked it 2 weeks ago and it was building slow, today it is in
> > decline with patches of sealed brood that did not look  rite when you open them
> >they have a thick light brown gob that was the larvae.  It will pull out
> >to about 1/2 Inch...

One treatment of TM25 with sugar will not prevent AFB.  The usual
recommendations are for a minimum of three such treatments, and if there
is suspicion that AFB could be a problem, more treatments than that are
necessary -- spring and fall.

Additionally, it is not said when the treatment was applied and if the
bees actually ate it.

AFB is still the chief suspect here, and only confirmation by an
experienced beekeeper or lab analysis will say for sure.

Beginning beekeepers *need* the assistance of experienced beekeepers,
since these matters are often difficult to understand from reading alone.
Enquiring at local bee supply outfits, or local ag extension offices will
often turn up a neighbour who will help, and without charge.

Burning is not a permanent solution if there are many other beekeepers
around, but any infected frames should be removed and disposed of, and the
remainder carefully examined and treated.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
     [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
       http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/