From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2014 23:49:40 +0000
Christina

The issue is that Dr Lu self-proclaims in both Papers and the associated media coverage that he has found the cause of CCD.  Given his methods, I doubt that he could manage to pass our beginning Beekeeping class, much less recognize CCD.  Anyone conducting toxicology studies should at the very least recognize the signs of poisoning.  All he manages to do is to confirm that mega doses  of an insecticide kill bees.

I don’t think either Randy or I would argue that bee loss from poisoning, bee loss from depopulated hives, or bee loss from mites or other bee pests or diseases isn’t of concern - but I personally will argue that bee loss from any source, including falling off trucks or even starvation, is a part of the total problem.  I doubt that it makes much difference to the affected colony.

That said, I will argue that even in the worst confirmed pesticide poisoning cases I’ve rarely  seen as high a percentage of colonies within any apiary or stockpile yard with severe loss as I’ve seen in operations with 80-90+% loss from depopulation or CCD - whichever you choose to call it.  And I will also disagree with the report that there hasn’t been any CCD in past three years.

But then again, I disagree with the relatively recent proclamation that CCD colonies don’t have any Nosema problems.  I have publicly stated that it appears that the way some researchers are going to resolve the CCD problem is to name it out of existence.  It’s not CCD, it’s depopulated hives.   It’s not hives that have Nosema, etc.

It’s probably all part of what another researcher, whom I respect, but who doesn’t want to be quoted said to me, CCD isn’t Colony Collapse Disorder, it’s Cash Cow Disease.  Dr. Lu certainly seems to fit this description,

Sent from Windows Mail