From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 19:46:35 +0000
From the list of superfund sites found in the USA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superfund_sites_in_the_United_States

You will notice that many are agricultural.

At a Bee Wellness workshop I taught at last year, there was an agricultural chemist among the participants who told me that the government uses math to calculate the rate at which chemicals "leach" out of the soil, or are otherwise rendered "harmless".  His concern was that no one actually went out there and MEASURED, and because they did not take soil types into consideration in their equations (or indeed, metabolites either), they made some big errors that resulted in superfund levels of pollutants in certain agricultural soils.

Does anyone know if this situation persists, or is there now a program for routine testing of all soils treated with pesticides/fungicides/fertilizers for large-scale agriculture?

Christina