From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 06:46:21 -0700
Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> GM>From: Guy Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>   >Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 1997 20:06:22 -0400
>   >Subject:      Varroa mites
>
> GM>Hands up who loves the varroa mite.
>
> GM>I just heard that the varroa mite may be the creature which will keep the
>   >Africanized Honey Bee from my neck of the woods.
>
> I think you got it mixed up, the AHB seems to have made it to the US
> without report of mites of any kind causing any problems with the
> bugger. The AHB seems to be more tolerant of all disease, pests, and
> predators then the average American bee.
>
>   >mites are killing off all the feral bees, they are doing me a great favor in
>   >slowing down, or maybe even stopping, the northern journey of the feral AHB.

You both may be right, but all the votes are not yet in as to why. One
guess is because the AHB absconds frequently, it breaks the brood cycle,
and that is a great varroa treatment . But because it absonds, it makes
for lousy overwintering because it has no or few winter stores. If
varroa is one of the reason it absconds, then varroa is also killing it
when it hits cold climates. That is still a guess, but it seems a good
one.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME