Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 17:30:23 -0700
 Ivan Campos  wrote:  How many hours per day of direct sunlight constitutes direct sunlight?

Know that my "opinion" is based on comments from others and from anecdotal evidence in my own hives.   The yard I am currently running has had fourteen hives (gotten two more from splits to prevent swarming) and are in a line facing east into a cotton field.  The west side consists of a paved country road with a mowed right of way of about fifty feet.   In that line of hives, I have three that are in the shade of bushes from about 3:00 PM onward to night.  Whenever I see hive beetles in my hives, the first always appear in those three hives, and when there are hive beetles in any of the other hives, they don't appear in the numbers that are found in those three hives.   Those three hives, by chance, are also my strongest hives.   In all my hives, so far, the bees have kept the beetles under control and usually corralled in one tight area.  I hope they keep up the good work.   How many hours a day of sunlight?  My recommendation would be as
 many hours as possible, especially if you are located in the south part of the U.S.  I'm located 1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobile.

Mike in LA