From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 15:48:18 -0500
Secondly, and related, is that in order for anything to change with regards to legislation, policy, or management to improve the situation for bees we must possess actual science (that is, data) quantifying that what we think is happening is really happening, even if it seems obvious.  Everything else is just opinion and anecdotes which will never actually affect change (improving bee forage landscapes in this case) because its much easier from a societal and governmental standpoint to do nothing.

Matthew,  I am still reading so trying to hold off,  but this point.  Improving the situation thru legislation or policy,  was exactly what I assumed was the goal when I read   Peters first notation.  The comment that   "native vegetation" is better  in the opening of the aforementioned note tells me right off where your headed.  As mentioned  I am still reading  so I will refrain from assumptions.

One thing a suspect you overlooked is the Ebb and flow of types of crops planted.  Right now  acreage corn is way down,  and Canola is taking a serious hit this season also.  Crop prices drive whats planted and it moves in swings that are usually much longer than your research cycle.
I did find it interesting that Canola pollen (farmed crop) seemed to be the healthiest for bees...not sure how that plays into the whole "let the place go wild " mentality yet.

Charles