From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:02:17 -0400
Thanks to all that posted on formic application methods. I only run 20 hives these days, but have found the MAQs to be effective and trouble free. The pads we made at the bee lab were not very effective, but because we put them on too late. We were using them in October after the supers came off, the temperatures were too cool.

Here in upstate NY it doesn't go into the 90s very much, even this hot summer. I used MAQs the second week in August and there was no damage. This August there were only 3 days with 90 or more degrees F. even though the average was 4.4 degrees above normal. Average high 83 and average low 61. NIce.

PLB

Ambient temperatures during the treatment period were in the lower half of the range recommended on the label, but were typical for early fall in upstate New York. Average mite mortality was 60% in the Mite-Away II group and 23% in the untreated control group. These means were significantly different from each other, but the level of control was only moderate.

Calderone, N. W. (2010). Evaluation of Mite-Away-II™ for fall control of Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae) in colonies of the honey bee Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in the northeastern USA. Experimental and Applied Acarology, 50(2), 123-132.