From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 09:17:32 -0700
Adrian:

I don't know who the NSF "bee expert" was, but it certainly wasn't me.  I
have two bee research projects going full tilt in Montana and have had
all winter.  We hhave a Tracheal Mite study in Helena, a test of
overwintering mini-nucs (yes, most are still alive, or were last week),
and I have indoor colonies.  All are producing brood.  This part of MT
isn't as bad as MN most years, but I know a commercial beekeeper over
against the N. Dakota border that grafts all of the queens for a 1200
colonie operation, in Montana, in the winter.  He puts his breeder
colonies out the back door of a shed, and starts setting up in Febraury,
with the first break in winter, he is off and running.

So, if you can't do bee research or commercial bee activities in winter,
its news to me.

Cheers

Jerry