Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:05:17 -0400
> Dr Brian Johnson found that certain aspects of colony regulation are due
> to the experiences of mid-aged bees th

Sounds like Allen Latham's "Control Bees".  I always liked that theory.

The point that keeps being missed is that the size of the cavity itself is of no
consequence if the bees cannot occupy it all.  The only volume that matters
is the volume encompassed by the cluster and that varies with a number of
factors, especially season.

This volume varies with season and it seems that the maximum volume
occupied is remembered and that information, plus trend, is somehow
integrated with the amount of the time that it can be occupied to determine
if it is 'considered' part of the bee superorganism in that time period.

This is not simple to explain, but it is actually quite easy to understand
and observe.

Somehow we find it easy to believe that a bee can fly four miles over
varied terrain  and find its way back, but don't think it knows its own home.

More later, and thanks to Randy for the assist.  Gotta run...