From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2018 10:26:58 -0400

>   You are also breaking the law by introducing an unregistered formulation
> into your hive.

Not to mention a potentially unsafe and dangerous application method.

I remember years ago when some beekeepers promoted using foggers to apply
mineral oil as a mite treatment.The bee yard would fill with clouds of
vapor smoke, and the beekeeper would freely walk between the clouds
inbetween treating hives. The rationale was that the treatment wouldn't
harm humans so who cared. But having large clouds of OA gas floating
through the air could create a very dangerous situation, as the OA will
absorb into any soft tissue it comes into contact with (including mouth
and eyes) or create fine particles of OA on any cooler material it contacts
with (clothes). Using foggers with OA in them should require, in my
opinion, significantly more safety equipment than a standard OA wand.

A gentlemen at my bee club told me he was experimenting with this method a
few months ago, although he doesn't believe in taking mite counts so who
knows if its actually working. When I expressed concern over his safety, he
told me he closed his eyes, held his breath, and turned his head to the
side whenever he turned the fogger on (no goggles or mask). When I started
explaining the health consequences of ingesting or breathing OA vapor,
especially mixed with ethanol, he said he didn't care. He was 60+ years old
and, in his mind, didn't care if it shaved a few years off his life. I can
tell a losing argument when I see one, and moved on.