From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2013 12:56:25 -0400
> This whole debate is reminiscent in my mind with that which raged over the impacts of smoking and health.

I disagree. The effects of pesticides are very subtle and difficult to quantify in the field. As Christina notes, bees succumb to all sorts of things and the tease out cause and effect is dauntingly difficult. On the other hand, the damage caused by smoking is obvious to anyone who is not in a state of acute denial. And it has been obvious for over 100 years. There is no benefit from smoking, while the benefits of targeted pest control is clear.

> Before I leave the subject of tobacco smoking, it may be worth while to note the fact, that, in addition to the various affections I have already named that are brought about by burning the 'Indian Weed,' there is a kind of skin disease of the tongue, to which smokers are liable. It has been called Psoriasis linguae, by Dr. Nedopil of Vienna, and has been chiefly observed in those who indulge in cigarettes ; it leads even to a form of epithelial cancer, is most intractable to treatment, and even giving up the favourite pipe, cigar, or cigarette, does not always lead the sufferer happily to a cure. I have learnt, on good authority, that Mr. Santley objects to smoking cigarettes; as he believes that they injure the quality of his voice. This may appear all the more remarkable to those who deny the hurtfulness of tobacco smoking, when we remember that this singer has a powerful voice, and a naturally fine, and healthy physique.”

Excerpt From: Edward Barton Shuldham. “Clergyman's sore throat, or follicular disease of the pharynx: its treatment.” 1878