From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 09:12:13 -0700
 > > I just  can't figure out why there is no flow to
> the flowers of these two
> > trees.

I’m not all together buying the theories that there are “more desirable nectar source blooming at the same time.” OR that  “trees aren’t producing a nectar flow.”

For areas having these blooms, what more desirable source could there possibly be at this time of year, other than tulip and locust?  If someone’s proposing this theory, tell us what these blooms are?

Assuming right off, these trees are not producing a flow of nectar might be a distraction, we perhaps should also be "thinking inside the box"

Beekeepers from the past often have stated the requirement for bee colonies to be 'strong and healthy' in order to obtain these early surpluses, and I would assume this still holds true today.

A beekeeper thinking he is doing everything right, might be apt to blame the bloom, rather than the condition of his colonies.  You need go no further than looking at what impact varroa, as well as other stresses have on a colonies ability to collect a surplus to have a logical explanation worht considering.  What may appear to be a strong colony to a beekeeper, may in fact be masking the fact that the colony may be coping with an underlying stress sufficient to hinder foraging abilites.

Best Wishes,
Joe
Feralbeeproject.com