From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:01:38 EST
    With all the flowers wide open, and temperatures in the 80's last week, I
was really nervous about the cold front that moved into here (South Carolina)
over the weekend. A hard freeze can do a lot of damage when buds are as tender
as they are now.

    Well I feel like we got by this one okay. It was not as cold as predicted,
and the cold was very brief. We were about 28 this morning. But it is now 70
(at 2:30 pm), and the nectar is shaking out of the frames.  So there obviously
wasn't much damage.

    The bees are building rapidly and starting to look real nice. They are
averaging four to six frames of sealed brood. I'm starting to really pour the
corn syrup to them. Pollen is coming in great quantity. As long as the weather
holds and we don't get freeze damage, I expect the bees will continue to
build. Maybe Dr. Stefan would like to come visit, and see first hand, the
"damage" that sugar does?

    I tell you, I get high, watching spring bees do their thing!
             (Eat yore hearts out, Yankees!)

    Now, will there be another "Clipper?"   Probably.

        Well, gotta' go. I'm going to move some bees this evening (been too wet to
get to them where they are, and they are predicting rain this weekend), and I
gotta' fix a tail light first......

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm