From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:54:14 -0400
> What has been eliminated as a potential cause?
>
> Honey bee tracheal mites
> Feeding - HFCS, protein supplement
> Chemical use for mite and disease control
> Source of bees
> Source of queens

My understanding is that they have been eliminated since they are not
common to those who have reported CCD .

The problem then is did any of those on the list cause the problem for
any who reported CCD and have those who reported been eliminated from
the data base? It does work both ways- not common to all then any who
lost bees because of the presence of any one of those is eliminated.
Sort of a double elimination.

I am sure the CCD group has the following from each of those who
reported so they can eliminate some of the CCD reporters:

1. Records of beekeeper mite inspections and the result of those
inspections prior to and after CCD.
2. Invoices for feed used and spec sheets on those feeds.
3. Invoices for pesticides used in the control of mites.
4. Records of application of pesticides and the method of application.
5. Independent verification of the losses.
6. Independent tests for pesticide resistance.
7. Independent tests of remaining bees for VM and TM.
8. Independent tests for virus and other disease.
9. Independent tests for mites prior to the loss.

The first four are either required by law or are regular business
practice so are available, so I am sure the group has seen them. The
next four would be done by the group, and there appears to be some data
on the website, but not the extent of that data. The last is available
in several cases and is critical.

At a minimum, if we do not have the first four items on the list from
each one who suffered major losses, then all we are relying on is the
report of the beekeeper. Without the rest, we are relying on
insufficient or bad data which makes for bad science.

Again, I do not doubt CCD exists since it has happened before but with a
different name. My problem is with the extent of the problem and those
who are piggy-backing on it, and the lack of credible information that
exists before the problem was reported and even after.

Add to that my own and others direct observations of those who report
CCD when it is mites. Some of those who reported sincerely believed that
it was CCD. But after reminders of the state of their bees prior to
their loss and/or follow up inspections, they agreed it was mites. Only
a few who had heavy mite loads and were told to treat prior to their
loss have stuck with their story and made the news. They will be the
ones who are rewarded with relief funds if approved by the Congress.

If fund are made available, there will not be one mite or winter kill in
the entire US. It will all be CCD. It almost is already.

My colony qualifies.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine