From:
"Paul Cronshaw, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 23:16:35 -0700
In my year 25 experience, removing (Robbing) honey has always been a chore.

In the past I have tried everything from brushing the individual frames to
using my scuba tank's pressurized air to blow the bees out of the supers.

This season, I tried one of the Escape boards from Brushy Mountain.  I was
amazed at how quickly the bees moved out of the 4 supers.  In 12 hours, I
was able to pop the cover, find not a single bee in each of the 4 supers,
and quickly remove them without disturbing the brood chambers.

After extracting the honey (averaged 65 pounds this year per hive), I put
the supers back on over a queen excluder for clean up.

Two days passed, put the Escape board back on.  Next day removed the
cleaned supers to store for winter.

I have tried Fume boards with mixed success.  S. Calif. sun gets really
hot.  Putting a fume board on hive with 4 supers and a queen excluder can
really send a hive into a frenzy and drive the bees right out of the front
entrance.

Plus the idea of using another chemical in my hives flies against my
approach to drug free beekeeping and untainted honey.

Granted the Fume board may be useful for larger apiaries, but for most
hobby beekeepers less than 10 hives, I recommend an Escape Board.

Paul Cronshaw DC
Cyberchiro
Hobby Beekeeper
Santa Barbara,  CA