From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:44:36 -0800
PO Gustafsson wrote:
This whole discussion looks a bit off topic to me. What is
really killing the bees? Mites? Nope, it's virus. Mainly
DWV. Mites are just the vector, transporters of virus
between bees. I think we should look for how bees can
handle the virus infection instead.

Reply:
Now that would IMPOV take a richer diet and richer propolis
gathered, which would mean more extended foraging and more
work force wouldn't it? Could also mean needing in a
beehive more housecleaning bees for keeping better
sterility in the broodnest with the propolis gathered,
which would be different duties then those done by nurse
bees wouldn't it? But how would you visualize getting more
bees available for what seems to be more problems accruing
to take care of what you are saying and seeing? How would
one change the operating field mechanics of a beehive to
help the bees do what you need?

Joe Waggle writes
Not quite, according to Penn State researchers.
(I referenced in my reply some material I have saved):
 Researchers there believe that there is a combination of
factors triggering colony deaths which includes suppression
of the bee immune system by the mites.  They have also
found that simply having deformed wing virus does not cause
bees to emerge from the pupa state with deformed wings, nor
is the presence of the viruses sufficient to cause colony
deaths.

Reply:
Meaning for suppression of bees immune system by mite?
Could it be less foragers for propolis to keep the
sterility of the broodnest intact? Or having propolis on
hand to bees to eat? Having healthy bacterial and viral and
fungal that are beneficial and not killed off by what to
help the bees gut digest better and take control of
internal problem?  Just what is meant here?

So what causes colony death then actually with DFW virus?
What makes it kick in to hurt? or not hurt a hive? What
does it do to a hive with them running around this way
other then having an impact on division of labor for in
house cleaning duties, etc, or maybe shorten life of bees?
Make a hive need more stores that could hurt the hive?
Divert attention away from other duties done by healthy
workers still left, by having to care for invalid maybe?
Just what is meant by presence doesn't cause colony death?
What other in house factors are hurt like I have mentioned
here?

Regards,

Dee a. Lusby

Cheap talk?