From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:45:46 -0600
Did anyone see this?  Try http://www.usgov.gov/news/aprlflls/

(I take no responsibility for the content of that purported site and
advise readers to verify the facts before reacting.  The purported article
is too long to quote here, so I'll just use a few lines here and there...
and you can search for the rest).

> USDA Opens Borders to Importation of New Zealand Bees

> In a surprise move,  US and New Zealand officials announced jointly
> this morning that beginning 4/1/98, the US will allow importation and
> trans-shipment of New Zealand bees to and through all US states,
> including Hawaii...

> ... After several years of low key discussions between agriculture
> officials it has been determined that New Zealand bees are entirely free
> of any harmful viruses and other diseases or pests that might affect
> American beekeeping other than American Foulbrood (AFB), a disease which
> exists throughout the USA anyhow. However to prevent transmission of any
> new stains of AFB, the protocol requires that any apiaries from which
> owners plan to export bees to the USA be treated with oxytetracycline
> for at least three months previous to any shipment.

> ...Moreover, in a new initiative for more open trade worldwide, it is
> expected that the Canadian border will be opened to US bee imports
> within the month...  Further, the restrictions on Chinese honey imports
> to the USA will be withdrawn June 1...

... in contemplating the meaning of this report, readers are advised to
consider the date of its transmission...