From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:34:14 -0500
I believe I have heard numbers like 80% of our agricultural crops are treated prophylactically...

I was thinking about this a lot more yesterday.  What finally struck me was the use of the term "prophylactic"  And how calculated that term is It used to in my opinion to bring up the sexual/ dirty side of thought processes. ( not that larry intended it that way but someone did)

Makes it sound bad,  like something seedy.

But that’s not right. We lock our doors, we call it crime prevention.  We service our cars,  we call it preventive mantince.  We give our children immunizations.   The list goes on.  Heck many of even use IPM practices for beekeeping,  to stay ahead of problems

The reality is we practice prevention a lot as an everyday routine.  In the case we are discussing farmers are doing the same.   Applying what they know to stop a problem sooner,  and by doing so reduce cost and the usually use a lot less pesticide in total.

We have decided as non farmers to use the word prophylactic  instead of preventive.   Lots of undertones in that word we selected.  All intended to bring up negative thoughts  instead of the positive one when we do preventive mantince.

 Just imagine how much oil we could save if we quite prophylactically changing our oil in the car.  Puts a whole different spin on it.....

Charles