From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:11:50 -0500
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean plastic frames (Pierco)
>that have been exposed to AFB?  Or do they all have to be burned?
>Thanks, Pat

My first thoughts are is it the law in your state to burn such equipment? If
it is not then the thought I have is to place the frames in a freezer and
then the wax should become brittle and most of it pop off when the frame is
flexed and scraped with a stiff brush.

You may be able to use a paint brush to apply a little molten bees wax to
encourage the reuse the frame and to help seal in any remaining spores. It
has been reported that heating bees wax to melting will damage AFB spores
and will prevent reinfection, I have not been able to confirm this. I would
also use caution as heat could damage the plastic frames.