From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:38:17 -0000
Peter Detchon

> That to me does not accord with the view you have ascribed to him.

Perhaps I was a little too succinct; my apologies.

Yes, Dr Cresswell gave us the information that a sublethal effect of
neonicotinoids is that performance is negatively affected by 6-20%.
However, I was referring to a statement about the synergistic effects of
nosema ceranae + neonicotinoids which has been widely touted as the cause of
CCD (along with just about everything else on this planet and beyond).

To summarise:  there is a sublethal performance reduction from
neonicotinoids alone, but synergistic effects of nosema ceranae and
neonicotinoids are not noticeable with less than ~70x the field realistic
dose of the neonicotinoid.

Of course, that does not mean than there is no effect which, presumably,
could be amplified by yet other factors.   This for me illustrates the
problem that we have in deciding where problems lie: it is clearly
impossible to test every possible combination of disease, agrochemicals,
weather conditions, forage etc, across the whole range.  We know that
neonicotinoids are not good for bees, but showing what impact they have
beyond the 6-20% performance hit might be so dependent on combinations of
other factors that we will never be able to get a definitive answer.

Best wishes

Peter
52.194546, -1.673618