From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 07:34:37 -0800
On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Janko Bozic wrote:

> This message was first send to Michael Reddel. Perhaps someone else
> on the list might be interested in this topic as wrote Michael
> latter.
>
> Anyway, do you have anywhere in the world organized youth beekeeping?
>
> Message followes:
>
>   I started with beekeeping through beekeeping projects in primary
> school. Actually, many schools in Slovenia had special out of class
> programs for kids. Such classes we are calling hear circles(could
> say clubs). Usually kids meet their beekeeping teacher
> (usually a beekeeper) once per week through the whole school year.
> When it is possible they are also working with bees. This classes are
> possible in all 8 years of primary school. Also some high schools have
> the same activity. Interesting is also meeting of all clubs from the
> state at the end of school year. They have a competition with
> practical prices. First tim usually gets a hive.
>    Currently I'm working on competition questions. Actually kids are
> learning a lot about bees and beekeeping. They have also a book which
> should be updated. Hopefully we will get a new one soon.
>

>          Hello Janko  and All,

    This is wonderful.It is a very powerful tool to teach children hoe one
part of nature works. I know how interested children are in honey bees
when they are young. I do talks to all of the Elementry schools around
here in the spring. It has some impact and I know that some follow up
course would be just what is needed for a greater understanding of the
honey Bee.
  I know a little about the education in Europe , my Daughter was an
exchange student in France for one year.This follows there positive
attitude towards getting the right education to the individual child.I do
wonder how deep you go into beekeeping?
 We have information on the net to teach with , but the on hands and real
bees are felt in away it is much easier to remember.

 Best Regards
 Roy