From:
Michael Jaross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:16:48 -0700
I got the same guff, but I wrote back saying that our local bee group
was monitoring Nosema apis and Nosema cerana, blahblahblah, and that I
was the "education director" yaddayadda, and that their offert had
been widely disseminated in the U.S. and globally, (sheesh, I
blush.....), and apparently they decided to ship it anyway.  I think
you just have to make your case and sound official.

We bought a couple from eBay cheap, from Hong Kong, and are evaluating
those.  Maybe the disposable unit would be a good way to get more
people to try monitoring their own Nosema situations.  We just need to
find some cheapo microscopes to hand around.

So, if you got the "only to medical insitutions" letter, write back
and tell them why you need it and that you know what you're doing.
You might luck out too.  I'll let you know if it actually arrivbes in
the mail, but they send a shipping confirmation.

Cheers, Michael Jaross
Mt. Baker Beekeepers Assn.
Bellingham, WA