From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:58:48 -0600
> "Pesticide exposure in honeybees results in increased levels of the gut
> pathogen Nosema" published in 2012 The pesticide used in the experiments
> was imidacloprid.

> Pettis also went on record when he spoke in Europe that CCD wasn't
caused by the neonics.

Mike said:
>Now I guess we have to contact Dr.Pettis about the above contradictions and
>determine just what his observations/conclusions are.

no *single* cause has been found for CCD ( whatever CCD is as the
definition keeps changing as Jerry pointed out.)

 I could list several large commercial beekeepers (if needed )which tell me
they believe CCD is a myth.
Never saw a hive they could not find a reason for the demise.

Not my opinion but coming from fellow beekeepers I respect so I at least
take under consideration.

Dr. Pettis saying CCD was not *caused* by the neonics is painting with a
very broad brush.

Dictionary word cause:
1 a person or thing that produces an effect.

If one uses the above definition of the word *cause* then perhaps Dr. Pettis
might have chosen a better word *if* the above quote from Dr. Pettis is
correct wording. Just saying?

The first culprit fingered for CCD cause was Kashmir bee virus, IAPV virus
and nosema.

beekeepers worked hard to eliminate virus by controlling varroa at extremely
low levels and controlling nosema. Still the hive problems.

The question has been once the varroa & nosema have been controlled and
problems are still happening is:

What are we missing?

To quote a well known researcher speaking privately:

"All the pieces to the CCD puzzle are known"
"On the table."
"Once we figure out the way the puzzle fits together the CCD mystery will be
solved."

Bob opinion:
determining the *trigger* ( Cause if you will) is the problem.
In a yard or (holding yard) of U.S. bees you will find all levels of nosema
and varroa. Field tests on hives free of these factors are a waste of time
as not a real scenario.

What are we missing? What is the cause which causes a yard to crash (CCD)
when a yard down the road ( CCD) is not affected?

What can cause hives to crash within a couple weeks of checked as strong?

What causes bees to leave the hive and abandon brood?

When I was young and worked on the family farm in Kansas before TV and
internet we worked puzzles with thousands of tiny pieces.

We lost interest at times (like CCD) but if we kept spending time at night
eventually all the pieces would fit.

Maybe the CCD mystery will not be solved. I hope not.

In my opinion hives in areas are still having serious problems to a similar
level as 2006/2007.

To my knowledge the neonics have not been eliminated as a possible *cause*
(trigger) as per the above dictionary definition.

The excuse you can eliminate the neonics because there are beekeepers with
hive problems not ever near the neonics does not hold water with me. I would
say with conviction the beekeepers having the *most* claimed CCD are
commercial beekeepers which have had bees near the neonics.

bob