From:
John E III Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 09:09:09 GMT
Subject: SEPARATING WAX FROM HONEY
From:    SMTP.BEEL2 at ROHMAIL
Date:    10/3/95  9:17 PM

>What is the best way to separate wax from honey?  I read in Richard Taylor's
>book that you should not use a solax wax melter to do this.  I crushed some
>comb honey and then strained it, so I have a big mixture of wax and honey
>left...

    With the caveat that the resulting honey will have been subjected to more
heat than one would like, I have had success recovering the honey from cappings
(which is a mixture much as you describe) by heating gently in a microwave oven
until the wax just melts and forms a separate layer, then allowing it to cool
and lifting the wax off the honey.  I did this repeatedly with small (half-
liter) batches, using relatively brief (one minute or so) microwave heatings
until I just reached the wax-melting temperature--creeping up on the temperature
avoids overheating.  I've recovered several gallons of cappings this way (and
learned some patience).

    An alternative is to extract the honey with a minimal amount of water, and
use this honey-water solution to make mead.

John E. Taylor III     W3ZID     | "The opinions expressed are those of the
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      | writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."