Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:59:55 -0400
> I'm not sure that 200 dead bees would constitute the great die off...

 If this is the same study we discussed many moons ago, the trial had to
make the bees fly directly over the planter. Otherwise there were no
losses. But picture this trial and move it to the real world. Why would
"foraging" bees be around barren fields? Why would they fly directly over a
planter? It was a completely artificial test.

> I wrote the author a week ago to ask him whether there was any mortality of
> the 4 test colonies.  He hasn't answered yet.

Again, if it was the same trial, colonies near the fields did just fine and
that is in the report.

Also, in the trial I read, the planter was not set correctly which resulted
in more dust than when it was set correctly. But colonies right by the
fields had no problems.

But if is not the same trial, it matches it in most aspects, which is that
the bees were forced to fly over the planter, which is in the abstract.

The trial is behind a paywall. I really would appreciate those who post
studies on this list to read them and consider just what is really said.
Save some of us who do read the trials a lot of time. Plus, the abstract
was fairly tame compared to the implications that the cause of CCD has now
been found.

What was discovered is that where pesticide is being used and bees fly
through the pesticide cloud, they die. When they do not fly through the
cloud, they don't.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine