Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:57:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
>>         Dr. Medhat Nasr did some work on close relation mating. It was       
>> established that the closer the relationship to sister-brother then the more 
>> the pattern disintegrated into this shot gun look.                           
>>         I would suggest your breeder leaves a lot to be desired.             
>>                                                                              
>Hi David, I'm wondering if there is a breeder that gets 90% or better ,        
>solid brood patterns.I would like to know if anyone has had a consistant       
>source of solid laying queens.There has been plenty of work done on the        
>genetic factor of egg laying. Dr. Rinderers book, Bee Genetics and             
>Breeding, goes in depth into sex determination and mating designs. I           
>wonder how many follow it in practice..                                        

A lot depends on where you learnt your bee keeping/queen rearing. There are     
some very strict rules, break them at your peril!!                              
        I believe we get 90% or better, every time. Why? because it's not       
just a game of numbers, we stick to the rules. It's a case of buyer beware.     
If the queens you buy this year have bad manners, and a poor pattern, don't     
buy there again.                                                                
        There are lots of supposed breeders who are definitely only in it       
for the money, and not the improvement of stock.                                
    ****************************************************                        
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *                           
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *                              
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *                                   
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *                               
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *                              
   ****************************************************                         

ATOM RSS1 RSS2