From:
Dave and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:16:27 -0500
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> Fouling the hive is I believe the main symptom of nosema. Nosema is normally
> caused by stress (often the fault of the beekeeper), and is often associated
> with nucs, and can be counteracted by Fumidil B.

One of our local beekeepers had a bad case of Nosema in 2 out of 3 of his hives.
Interesting, there was some evidence of dysentery, but not much.  However, the
bees crawling in the grass was his concern.  My concern about using this as an
indicator of Nosema may miss other problems, perhaps insecticide kills.  When we
went to check his hives with him we found that the symptom of  'losing the sting
reflex' was the strongest symptom to lead us to determine Nosema.  We were
picking up the crawling bees, handling and examining them, without gloves, and
not one of us received a sting.

Luckily, this beekeeper followed our advice that "nothing that happens in your
hives should ever be a surprise" and was quick to find the disease.  He did not
have Fumidil (another older beehaver had advised him that he need not treat with
Fumidil because the bee suppliers always treat) so we gave him some of ours, he
treated and both of the hives survived.

This was the  year with an extremely wet spring in Kentucky.  The location of the
bees was across the road from a local creek, in the bottoms.  Even though it was
new package bees, they did not get the Nosema until about a month later.  We
believe from the wetness of the location..

Judy in Kentucky, USA