From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:46:26 -0500
>Seems like learning to deal with Varroa is a learning curve. One would
>think they would have learned from Europe and America's experiences.

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=48672

I met Randolph years ago when i started to attend national conventions
hoping to share the ways beekeepers were coping with varroa. Some of us were
very aware back then of the ways Europe was using.

Randolph's biggest obstacle is his countries government. Waiting for the
government  to solve varroa is a slow process.

Surf a few beekeeping websites and treatments such as oxalic acid, formic
acid and thymol are easy to find. All products can be ordered into most
countries (unless sources are not found locally).

Why wait for Bayer to send in coumaphos strips?

Australian beekeepers are working hard to have the treatments they feel they
need in place when varroa arrives but in my opinion should have the products
approved  NOW so use can be implemented quickly when varroa arrives!

I have sat in the same varroa presentations as Randolph at ABF conventions.
Randolph should not be losing hives.

The problem in Bermuda is not so much varroa as the lack of *registered*
methods. When varroa arrived in the U.S. the only methods spoke of at
meetings  were chemical strips which needed registration. half the hives
died while waiting for registration.

After half your hives have crashed to varroa is not the time to approach the
bureaucracy for approving treatments. Australia please look at the way
varroa
has crashed hives in Bermuda and Hawaii when beekeepers are unprepared for
varroa arrival!

Be prepared and INFORMED!

ticks on dogs and varroa on bees are similar blood suckers. chemicals work
best for both.

bob