Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:17:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/29/2009 11:38:10 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

You said  the three gallons should be "Disposed as toxic waste."
In California the  cost to transport and dispose of 3 gallons of
toxic waste to a Class 1  hazardous waste dump site such as
the one in Kettleman City would run into  the hundreds of dollars.

OK, so you say these chemicals aren't a problem, but it costs hundreds  of
dollars to dispose of them, so better to put them back in to the environment
 rather than pay the fee.  Interesting argument.

Paul, I'm sorry to say, California isn't the center of the  universe.  Just
because it may cost you a lot to dispose of small  amounts toxic waste,
doesn't mean that's true everywhere.   And  yes, whenever we engage in a
project nowadays, we have to consider whether we're  going to generate toxic
waste, and depending on the kinds and amounts, it can  get costly.

However, regarding some cans of creosote and PCP, in my town in MT, they
have an annual roundup of small amounts of toxic/hazmat wastes (up to a few
gallons) - just bring them to the drop center, and they will be disposed
of, reprocessed, recycled etc.; usually at no cost.  There is a small  fee
(few dollars) for some solvents, etc.

Our Health Dept would rather see these things properly disposed of or
reprocessed, rather than go in to our aquifer that we get our drinking water
from.  As such, they work hard to make it easy for everyone to clean  out the
garage, get rid of the left over chemicals.  They want to make sure  that
people don't use excuses to avoid proper handling and
disposal/reprocess/recycle.

I'm sure many, if not all of us, on this list, who do our own vehicle
maintenance, used to change oil and then pour the old oil on the  driveway,
spread it out to stop dust on a farm road, spread it in the  alley.   Try that
in my town these days, and you may get a very  expensive bill from the city.

Now, those who do this and get caught may and have argued, but it was  only
a couple of quarts; and besides the county used to oil hundreds of  miles
of roads to keep dust down -- but that won't cut it with the judge.

Jerry