From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:24:37 -0400
http://www.cfans.umn.edu/solutions/bees1.htm

"She reasoned that a study could be designed to address both honeybee and human health. Testing
chemical compounds against bee diseases can be done much quicker than any done with human
subjects, and could produce results that can quickly be applied to combat bee diseases. Those same
results could then be tested against HIV and other human viruses. She enlisted two of her colleagues
from the university’s original propolis study to join her on the project, which is funded by a grant
from CFANS: Jerry Cohen and Gary Gardner from the Department of Horticultural Science.
“I went to Jerry and said, what would be really cool would be to analyze the components of propolis
and to use the bee as a screen to quickly test which are active against bee diseases and bee viruses,”
Spivak explains. “So I came up with the idea to use the bees as a screen and they came up with the
methods.”