From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:06:54 -0700
> <<<These are selected photos depicting brood patterns from a beekeeping
> operation in South West Pennsylvania during August of 2001. They are an
> example of the brood patterns beekeepers in Westmoreland County,
> Pennsylvania (South West Pennsylvania) had to deal with during a time period
> when colonies here were under great stress.  At this time, varroa mite
> pressure was high

Joe, this is the context under which I judged your frames.  In a situation
of stressed bees under high mite pressure at that time of year, I did not
see those patterns as being unusual.  They did not look like healthy
colonies, but that would be expected under your stated circumstances.

I did find the inclusion of the one frame full of young brood with a good
pattern to be an anomaly.  If that photo was indeed taken at the same time
as the others, it would indicate that that colony was healthier than the
rest, and that the larvae or pupae in the others were succumbing to viral or
bacterial problems.

Randy Oliver